2024 Belgrade Book Fair Haul

 


Hi guys! You haven’t heard from me in a while because life has been a little chaotic lately. As you already know, I don’t have a set schedule for this blog, so I post whenever I can. Just like every year, I went to the Belgrade Book Fair in October, and I think that definitely calls for a haul. Here’s everything I got:


1. Alex Michaelides, The Silent Patient


The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides (yes, I absolutely had to Google how to pronounce his last name)  is a psychological thriller centered around Alicia Berenson, a successful artist who has been silent since she violently murdered her husband. She is placed in a psychiatric facility, and her silence becomes the focal point of intrigue. The story is narrated by Theo Faber, a psychotherapist who becomes obsessed with uncovering the truth.

Since I got it in October, I have already read this book and I liked it a lot. I wasn't able to predict the plot twist but that might be because I haven't read a thriller in a while. Overall, I think it's a great book for those of you who are just getting into thrillers, but if you are an experienced thriller reader, maybe skip this one. 

2. V.E. Schwab, Vicious



Vicious by V.E. Schwab is a dark and gripping tale of ambition, morality, and revenge. The story follows two college students, Victor and Eli, who discover the possibility of gaining superhuman abilities through near-death experiences. However, their experiments and differing views on power and ethics lead to a catastrophic falling-out. Years later, they find themselves on opposite sides of a battle, each determined to destroy the other.

I haven’t read this book yet, but since The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue is my favourite book, you could say my expectations are pretty high. In V.E. Schwab we trust.

3. Donna Tartt, The Secret History 


The Secret History by Donna Tartt is a literary thriller about a group of elite college students at a small liberal arts school in Vermont who become deeply entangled in their shared fascination with Greek philosophy and culture. Under the guidance of an enigmatic professor, they form a tight-knit, secretive group. Their intellectual pursuits lead them down a dark path of moral ambiguity, manipulation, and the consequences of their choices.

The Secret History is my current read, and I am absolutely LOVING it. The writing is exceptional, the characters are incredibly interesting, and it perfectly embodies the essence of dark academia. I’m completely hooked, and you can definitely expect an in-depth review of this book from me in the future.

4. Goran Milašinović, Slučaj Vinča 


Slučaj Vinča by Goran Milašinović is a non-fiction book that delves into the infamous nuclear accident that occurred in Vinča, near Belgrade, during the 1950s. The incident involved a criticality accident at a research reactor, leading to significant radiation exposure for a group of young scientists.

The book explores the events surrounding the accident, the subsequent medical treatments, and the impact it had on the individuals involved and the scientific community in Yugoslavia. It combines historical details, scientific insight, and human stories, offering a compelling account of one of the most significant nuclear incidents in the region.

Unfortunately, I think this book doesn't have an English translation. However, if you're interested in the topic, I highly recommend the movie Guardians of the Formula. The movie is based on the book, and that's how I discovered its existence.

5. V.E. Schwab, The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

 

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab is a tale about a young woman who strikes a deal to escape a life of limitations, gaining immortality at the cost of being forgotten by everyone she encounters. Set across centuries and various settings, the story follows Addie as she navigates a lonely yet remarkable existence, seeking meaning and connection in a world where she cannot leave a trace.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’ve already read this book, and it’s currently my absolute favourite. I originally read it online, but I just had to get a physical copy. It’s so raw, emotional, and unforgettable—I can’t stop thinking about it.


The Belgrade Book Fair is something I look forward to every year and I'm glad I can now share that with you. And with that, I wish you a Happy New Year!


Until next time,

Jovana <3

09/01/2025  

 

 










 








Comments

Popular Posts